My email has been "spoofed"
scm2
2010-03-31 02:10:01 UTC
Recently everyone in my address book has been getting "odd" emails from "me".
The problem is, is that I am not sending these emails. Someone at work told
me that it sounded like I was "spoofed", and the only way to correct this is
to change my email address. Is this correct?
VanguardLH
2010-03-31 07:15:12 UTC
Post by scm2
Recently everyone in my address book has been getting "odd" emails from "me".
The problem is, is that I am not sending these emails. Someone at work told
me that it sounded like I was "spoofed", and the only way to correct this is
to change my email address. Is this correct?
Anyone can claim any e-mail as theirs, including you. No matter what e-mail
address you have, someone can say it is theirs. Nothing you can do about
it. The recipients will have to determine from where the e-mail originated
based on the Received headers to see if it came from the same e-mail server
that you use.
N. Miller
2010-03-31 19:39:24 UTC
Post by scm2
Recently everyone in my address book has been getting "odd" emails from "me".
The problem is, is that I am not sending these emails. Someone at work told
me that it sounded like I was "spoofed", and the only way to correct this is
to change my email address. Is this correct?
I've had a Yahoo! email forged, and my domain forged. In the first case, I
just rode it out. The abuse stopped after thirty days (the forger probably
only used it for a week). In the second case, I was actually bouncing
"bounces". My server is set to reject email to invalid user names during the
SMTP phase (when the remote mailhost is trying to deliver email into my
domain). Some mailhosts try to "bounce" undeliverable email to the putative
sender. In this case, they were trying to notify non-existent users for my
domain, and my server had no place to put their "bounces". So it returned a
"554 User does not exist" error to the remote mailhost, then closed the
connection.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come