Is This a Fake Message?
MIKE SHEFFIELD
2010-04-16 13:17:01 UTC
I've received the following email claiming to be from the "Windows Live Mail
Team":

"Hello ***@hotmail.com:
You recently asked to reset your Windows Live ID password by e-mail. Follow
the instructions below to reset your password, or to cancel your password
reset request.

TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD:
1. Select and copy the following Internet address
https://accountservices.msn.com/EmailPage.srf?emailid=109ceaae9a5fa389&ed=Cf8/qDZ/ShfLvdeRIPcWY1HX53693RbxzYbxPGy82A1ObG8xmEoqKX55kfN8&lc=1033&urlnum=0
2. Open a browser, paste the link in the address bar, then press Enter or
Return on your keyboard.

IF YOU DID NOT REQUEST TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD:
1. Select and copy the following Internet address
https://accountservices.msn.com/EmailPage.srf?emailid=109ceaae9a5fa389&ed=Cf8/qDZ/ShfLvdeRIPcWY1HX53693RbxzYbxPGy82A1ObG8xmEoqKX55kfN8&lc=1033&urlnum=1
2. Open a browser, paste the link in the address bar, then press Enter or
Return on your keyboard.

Thank you,
Windows Live Team
NOTE:
Please do not reply to this message, which was sent from an unmonitored
e-mail address. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered."

I am pretty sure I have not requested an update of this password, and I'm
more than a little suspicious of the quoted 'respond' address. Also that I am
told to responde evewn if I haven't made an update request.

Does anyone have any info on this?

MIKE SHEFFIELD
PA Bear [MS MVP]
2010-04-16 17:55:56 UTC
What to do if you think your account has been stolen or hijacked
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=6ea0c7b3-1473-4176-b03f-145b951dcb41

What to do if you can't sign into Windows Live Hotmail
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=293962dd-b4a0-4ee7-a661-8254ae9c8d78

Windows Live Online Solutions Center
http://windowslivehelp.com/Default.aspx

Solutions for Common Hotmail Problems
http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions.aspx?productid=1

Hotmail Community Forums <=post all Hotmail-specific questions here!
http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=1
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MIKE SHEFFIELD
N. Miller
2010-04-16 18:01:05 UTC
Post by MIKE SHEFFIELD
[...]
Without the full headers, no way to tell. Only by reviewing the trace lines
in the full headers can one determine if the email is "fake".
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
Hot-text
2010-04-16 22:23:07 UTC
If your E-Mail Address ***@hotmail.co in the Code Not Fake in the link
:::

emailid=109ceaae9a5fa389&ed=Cf8/qDZ/ShfLvdeRIPcWY1HX53693RbxzYbxPGy82A1ObG8xmEoqKX55kfN8&lc=1033

And the Link is valid, and if The e-mail link has not expired and have not
already used it and send it to the NewsGroups...
The first One in the NewsGroups to Click on it would have valued it for
you.. <Hmm

And After that one all of the NewsGroups will get this and you too!!!!

https://accountservices.msn.com/uiemailresponded.srf?lc=1033
Link is no longer valid
The e-mail link has expired, or you have already used it. For more help with
this task, click the Help link on this page.

Fake Message or Not
The Link Was Not Fake
Dam if you do.,,. Dam if you don't!
...winston
2010-04-17 18:27:49 UTC
Appears to be the standard message when requesting a password reset. If not requested, then your email address was most likely
obtained by malware from an address book on your or another's systems, use of your address in location publicly available on the
internet, and/or a bot algorithm capable of finding your username.

If not requested...delete it, logon at account.live.com and change your password and secret question.
--
...winston
ms-mvp mail