Working on your request... Hotmail Live unuseable lately...
Dolomite
2008-07-01 02:04:00 UTC
Recently (since last week, end of June 2008), I get the yellow box on lower
left side of browser saying "Working on your request...."
It actually stays on too long and Hotmail Live freeezes, stops working or if
I am very unlucky it will crash after writting an email for 30 minutes.
I pay for the full account and the Outlook connector so there is no reason
for my Live account to work on any request.
I am currently working in another country (but problem not there before so I
don't think is country related).
I suspect that it may be related to waiting to download and dysplay ads or
unwanted info from home country. Another nono if I pay for full services.
This last part is especulative but msn ads services seems to be having that
effect around the net lately (so I am not alone in this idea).
----->questions:
1-is the message "working on your request" a temporary problem due to some
upgrading somewhere, or is it a thing to stay?
2-If so, will paying accounts also suffer from this?
3-If so, can someone suggest another webbased email service that will be
adbot-tracking free (so no gmail) even if paying more than $50 a year? (I
already use Yahoo premium for anotyher account, so no Yahoo either).
Thanks.
_mr_fix_it_
2008-07-10 17:20:03 UTC
Hello,

First I get the (( Working on your request...)) yellow bar at the bottom of
the Hotmail inbox window, then after a long wait it comes up with:

((( We can't connect to Windows Live Hotmail right now. Please try again
later.)))

Which is also in a yellow bar but it's located at the top of the of the
Hotmail inbox window.

Nothing has changed on my PC and Windows Live Mail (Hotmail) always worked
fine before. XP SP3 IE6

I though it could be a javascript error so I updated Sun java to latest 6u6
but, still have the problem. Then I reluctantly installed SilverLight, still
have the problem. Installed all the latest updates (patch Tuesday June 8,
2008) still no luck.

I have seen multiple users all across the web posting of this problem over
the last few weeks... It isn't a problem that we can fix on our end, it has
to be a bug on the server side.

Is anybody from Microsoft working on this problem ?
Can somebody shed some light on this for us, Please ?

Thanks,
_mr_fix_it_

________________________________________________________________>
Thanks.
N. Miller
2008-07-10 17:37:57 UTC
Post by _mr_fix_it_
I though it could be a javascript error so I updated Sun java to latest 6u6
but, still have the problem.
Updating Sun Jave will never, ever, fix a JavaScript error.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(Sun)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECMAScript

They are as different from one another as MS Outlook Express is from MS
Outlook; more so, actually, considering that they were not even developed by
the same company. They can't be used interchangeably, and you can't fix
problems with one by reinstalling/updating the other.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum
_mr_fix_it_
2008-07-10 23:08:01 UTC
Thanks for the reply, although... I already stated that Java didn't fix the
problem.

Javascript is running in the Hotmail IE window (it says so at the bottom of
the IE window bar) it's not that much of a strech to think it could be a Java
error, is it?

JavaScript is Developed by Sun Microsystems, correct?
The yellow error bar is running though a Jscript, is it not?
You say Microsoft and Sun are not related, but...
Sun is the developer of Jscript and Microsoft is running Jscript on the Web
page that I use to access Windows Live Hotmail... Right?

Ok then, well I had no trouble before and the javascripted (yellow bar)
error never appeared before, so I updated Sun Java. I thought maybe IE was
tring to access a Java local runtime, dll, ect...

I'm not an expert programmer, (and I shouldn't have to be... just to check
email) I'm just looking for a solution to this problem.
Java didn't fix the problem, end of that part of the story.

Thanks.
________________________________________________________>
PA Bear [MS MVP]
N. Miller
2008-07-11 11:17:35 UTC
Post by _mr_fix_it_
Post by N. Miller
Post by _mr_fix_it_
I though it could be a javascript error so I updated Sun java to latest 6u6
but, still have the problem.
Updating Sun Jave will never, ever, fix a JavaScript error.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(Sun)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECMAScript
They are as different from one another as MS Outlook Express is from MS
Outlook; more so, actually, considering that they were not even developed by
the same company. They can't be used interchangeably, and you can't fix
problems with one by reinstalling/updating the other.
Thanks for the reply, although... I already stated that Java didn't fix the
problem.
Javascript is running in the Hotmail IE window (it says so at the bottom of
the IE window bar) it's not that much of a strech to think it could be a Java
error, is it?
It is the same with the confusion between MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express;
except that Java and JavaScript are not distributed by the same company.
Post by _mr_fix_it_
JavaScript is Developed by Sun Microsystems, correct?
If you had read the links I provided, you would know that JavaScript was
developed by Netscape, not Sun Microsystems.
Post by _mr_fix_it_
The yellow error bar is running though a Jscript, is it not?
Which has what to do with Java?
Post by _mr_fix_it_
You say Microsoft and Sun are not related, but...
Sun is the developer of Jscript and Microsoft is running Jscript on the Web
page that I use to access Windows Live Hotmail... Right?
No. Sun did not develop JavaScript. And Sun Microsystems is a different
company than Microsoft Corporaction.
Post by _mr_fix_it_
Ok then, well I had no trouble before and the javascripted (yellow bar)
error never appeared before, so I updated Sun Java. I thought maybe IE was
tring to access a Java local runtime, dll, ect...
Jave would try to execute a .jar file. JavaScript is embedded in the Web
site.
Post by _mr_fix_it_
I'm not an expert programmer, (and I shouldn't have to be... just to check
email) I'm just looking for a solution to this problem.
Java didn't fix the problem, end of that part of the story.
All I was doing was explaining why upgrading Java would not fix a JavaScript
problem.
PA Bear [MS MVP]
2008-07-10 18:19:42 UTC
It's always best to begin a new thread about /your/ problems, even if they
appear to be identical or similar to someone else's.
Post by _mr_fix_it_
Nothing has changed on my PC and Windows Live Mail (Hotmail) always worked
fine before. XP SP3 IE6
Did the problem start after you'd installed WinXP SP3?

(if any)?

==========================

Self-help options include:

Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!6203.entry

Windows Live Hotmail Technical Support Blog: Scott's Top 30 Windows Live
Hotmail Help Topics for Mail and Settings:
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!5828.entry

E-mail Support:
https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmail&ct=eformts
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
Thanks.
Dolomite
2008-07-11 02:41:00 UTC
Hi,
Thanks for the "Javascript" idea. I also wondered about it. And because the
yellow message "working on your request" is right above it, and it is easy to
wonder if there is a connection.
When you hover over anything clickable on ie7 there is a "javascript"
message on the bottom left. Inside the grey and above "Start" if page is
maximized.
On the hotmail Live account you usually see: Javascript::

The "working on your request" is still there. (2 weeks now).

I can connect very well with the outlook connector (in fact better than ever
before).
The problem with this is that Outlook connector dislikes and may not deliver
emails in Chinese (bad for business).

The only thing that has changed in my pc is that I used to do great with FF2
(Firefox), but hotmail Live did not do so well with FF3. Rather than revert I
started to use ie7. All problems started while under FF3.
I use ie7 for past 3 weeks or more to connect to Hotmail Live (or Outlook).
I have all updates and patches for XP and ie7, but not XP SP3.
No hardware changes.
Uninstalled AVG since they started to bombard me with popup ads about their
avg8, and installed Norton antivirus. Norton installed and working days
before problems. (I tried disabling all features, but see no effect on the
"Work..." message).

I still wish this thread would keep being about knowing if there is a reason
why we now often get
"Working On Your Request...", and sometimes inability to connect.
If it is an advertisement related issue and if it is something that paying
accounts will have to endure from now on.
Or if it is because of updates at some obscure MS dungeon (I say this
lovingly).

Thanks and sorry for long post.
Thanks.
PA Bear [MS MVP]
Thanks.
SimonG

Thanks.
Dolomite
2008-07-16 01:14:37 UTC
Not sure what Bear meant by repost...
IE7, XP sp2, nothing new....

Today us so unusuable...
While I do 12 emails on gmail, and 9 on yahoo email I have done nothing with
Hotmail Live (finally managed to send 1 email through outlook connector).
Hence do not blame the net.

Thread about "Working on Your Request" Any ideas on what is going on?
Thanks.
mae
2008-07-16 10:54:54 UTC
He reposted the link for you to contact support.
Please do so!
This might help a little::
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!5D6F5A79A79B6708!6203.entry

That obnoxious yellow banner "working on your request" appears to be related
to this:
Hotmail now brings you additional speed and makes it easier to pull in mail
from other accounts (paid users only)
http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/Blog/cns!CC9301187A51FE33!47753.entry

It is unclear what is intentional and what isn't.
There is a post by support they are aware of Firefox3 issues and will have a
fix.
I think that was in response to query about Full version in Firefox3.
I contacted support but they only addressed the new tab issue which they are
working on.

mae

hammered
2008-07-16 23:35:02 UTC
I also have had the problem for several weeks and have been in communication
with Hotmail support. They've had me do several things that has not resolved
the issue and I think they have given up. Its a REAL pain to open a folder
then try to open another folder and nothing happens but that STUPID message
on the bottom left hand corner of the window that reads "Working on your
request". All other email services work just fine. I did discover if I
select "Try the full version" on the bottom of the Classic Hotmail window
that my problem goes away. This tells me that it is a unique problem with
the Classic Hotmail. It is annoying in that Microsoft doesn't seem to care.
Thanks.
salmon
2008-07-17 07:43:01 UTC
THANK YOU Hammered !
that STUPID message on the bottom left hand corner~"Working on your request".
IS FINALLY GONE !!!
If I select "Try the full version" on the bottom of the Classic Hotmail
window
that the problem goes away.
Dolomite
2008-07-23 05:40:00 UTC
Thanks a lot for clarification mae.
Thanks for suggestions Bear.

Switching away from Classic to Full does not resolve the problem.
You will still see message "Work..."

Worst of all is the loss of "Open in a New Tab" when going to Full version.
I will not say more about that discrimination against multitaskers in this
thread.
I just hope open in new tab fixes soon. There are other threads about that.

I still wonder about what causes the delay that triggers the message
Eve85
2008-07-24 14:54:01 UTC
Hi Guys

I solved this problem by turning off the Ad Blocking facility in Norton.

Hope this helps.

Eve
Dolomite
2008-07-25 00:32:00 UTC
Thanks for idea Eve.

I had disabled all in Norton before without any visible results.

I can not find "Ad Blocking facility" in my Norton Antivirus. Please help if
possible. I have the basic antivirus.

Excuse my ignorance, but if we pay for the Plus account, why block ads that
you are not supposed to receive?
Eve
working on your request
2008-08-22 17:42:22 UTC
For all you out there that’s still having probs with working on your request
Go to your hotmail page scroll to the bottom of the page in blue text
You will see Try the full version click on it and follow the instructions
the should
Fix the problem
Eve
PA Bear [MS MVP]
Thanks.
working on your request
Thanks.
nikegirl_999
2008-07-24 19:22:00 UTC
OMG, I have been having the same problem for a couple of weeks. I have
updated all my Javas and my internet, but nothing, and the other computers at
home work, it seems to be only my computer. I hate it because I can only
click a tab the just after I sign in, then I can't click anything anymore,
just the stupud yellow box shows up. What can I do?
Thanks.
working on your request
Thanks.
Darksoul
2008-08-01 10:25:03 UTC
I've got the same problem...But a strange thing is, that it only happens on
my desktop. Got a laptop downstairs and there it is not an issue. Same
connection, same emailadress, allmost same time.....
Thanks.
working on your request
Thanks.
Dolomite
2008-09-15 23:35:00 UTC
First, this is quite disturbing. I had a post and was erased or deleted. I
was quite proud of it.

Changing to Full version does not fix, I still had it happpening in the Full
version. I now use the Classic and it is not happening so often now. It may
have been a server upgrade thing.

Unless.... it was purposfully done by Microsoft to "Force" people into going
to the Full version. I doubt it but it sure looks like it.

The erasing of my last post and this repeated message by Mr. "working on
your request" seems to be a forceful push to use the Full version (because
they are killing the Classic).

"Working on your request" is probably an ad-server thing. This means they
will be able to serve you more ads more effectively when it is fine tuned.

You will see the "working..." on your Full version too. Specially when you
travel and the adserver is considering what kind of ad to serve you rather
than serve emails as Hotmail Plus should.
Thanks.
N. Miller
2008-09-16 16:26:32 UTC
Post by Darksoul
Post by Dolomite
[...]
Would that be the first of the posts in my quote list? I had to run the
"Execute Message ID" command of my news reader to get it; my reader is
configured to purge posts over 25 days old. June 30 is well past 25 days
old, and approaching the end of "shelf life" for the Microsoft NNTP servers.
Post by Dolomite
Changing to Full version does not fix, I still had it happpening in the Full
version. I now use the Classic and it is not happening so often now. It may
have been a server upgrade thing.
Unless.... it was purposfully done by Microsoft to "Force" people into going
to the Full version. I doubt it but it sure looks like it.
The erasing of my last post and this repeated message by Mr. "working on
your request" seems to be a forceful push to use the Full version (because
they are killing the Classic).
"Working on your request" is probably an ad-server thing. This means they
will be able to serve you more ads more effectively when it is fine tuned.
You will see the "working..." on your Full version too. Specially when you
travel and the adserver is considering what kind of ad to serve you rather
than serve emails as Hotmail Plus should.
Using Firefox 3.0.1, I did not encounter any "Working on your request..."
message.

Oddly enough, using Safari 3.1.2 (for Windows), Windows Live Hotmail won't
allow me to use the "Full version". Tells me:

| This is the classic version of Windows Live Hotmail
| This version works better with your browser. The full version of Windows Live Hotmail
| runs on Internet Explorer 6.0 and higher (make sure you check the system requirements
| before you install it). The full version also works on Firefox 2.0.

Doesn't throw up a "Working on your request..." in Safari, though.

SeaMonkey 1.1.11 (anybody enamored of Netscape browsers from at least 4.x
until AOL bought them, should give this one a look) works just fine with the
"Full Version" of Windows Live Hotmail; within the limits you have pointed
out WRT JavaScript. But there are no broken buttons, no "Working on your
request..." windows.

Using Opera 9.52, there is a stupid login issue, where the initial login
fails, but re-entering the UserID+Password combination succeeds on a second
attempt. But once in, I have the "Full Version" enabled, and there are no
broken buttons. The account I tried this on had spam in the Inbox, and the
"Junk" button handily took care of it. No "Working on your request...".

I'd consider giving MS Internet Explorer 7 a spin, but I am not convinced it
will be any more broken than the ones I have tried so far.

I can't test Firefox 1.5.0.x. I pitched Fx 1.5.0.8 when Fx 2.0.0.1 was
released.

I upgraded my HP Pavilion 6745C, Windows Me to Windows XP Home Edition, SP3
recently. It runs Fx 3.0.1 almost as well as my HP Pavilion m7590n, Windows
MCE 2005, SP3; mostly a bit slower because the system RAM is only 256 MB,
compared with the 3.5 MB available to Windows on the newer computer.

If you are having browser issues, may I respectfully suggest:

Use Firefox 2.0.0.16, at the least. It is supported (Fx 1.5.0.x, through the
last version, 1.5.0.12, is EOL; "End Of Life".)

Use it with few, or no addins. Who knows what script blockers, spam
blockers, ad blockers, and such, are doing to interfere with your Windows
Live Hotmail connection. Many of those Fx extensions counteract the web
compatibility of Firefox.
Dolomite
2008-09-16 23:15:00 UTC
Thanks a lot Norman.

The posts deleted was at the end of July 2008. After nikegirl_999 or
Darksoul. What is most disturbing is that some of those posts by Mr. "working
on your request" replace other posts (not just mine).

The Full or Classic issue has nothing to do with "Working on your
request...". I travel to other countries, and when I get a lot of that
message I switch to Full version. It has no effect. I get the same frequency
and intensity of the message in the Full version.

Now, September 2008, I seldom get the message any more in the Classic
version on IE7 (it is net dependent). Even when travelling.

The same browser that works great at one time stops working for a while and
then seems to work well again. (Net dependent?)

I am worried that someone can erase post and make this an issue about the
Classic version.

I still believe it probably has to do with the new interface of the future
Live Hotmail and their ad serving technology (maybe not fully deployed yet
and having growing pains). Unfortunately, this goes into a whole other issue
for other threads.

As someone posted before "Working on your request..." in Hotmail is the same
as "Loading..." in Gmail. Both with the same yellow colored background...

Firefox does seem to do much better (probably due to "adblock plus" and
speeding ad server requests).

Thanks for asking Norman, and thanks for great info on browsers.
Post by N. Miller
Post by Dolomite
Post by Darksoul
Post by Dolomite
[...]
For all you out there thatʼs still having probs with working on your request
N. Miller
2008-09-17 04:08:00 UTC
Post by Dolomite
Thanks a lot Norman.
The posts deleted was at the end of July 2008. After nikegirl_999 or
Darksoul. What is most disturbing is that some of those posts by Mr. "working
on your request" replace other posts (not just mine).
Retention on the Microsoft NNTP servers is variable, depending on traffic.
Anywhere from 60 days for heavily posted groups to 120 days for lightly
posted groups. Google Groups does archive them forever, if the post does not
have the "X-No-Archive: yes" header line. Google will not delete such posts,
unless requested by the post author, and proven to be the post author.
Post by Dolomite
The Full or Classic issue has nothing to do with "Working on your
request...". I travel to other countries, and when I get a lot of that
message I switch to Full version. It has no effect. I get the same frequency
and intensity of the message in the Full version.
I haven't had it at all, that I can recall.
Post by Dolomite
Now, September 2008, I seldom get the message any more in the Classic
version on IE7 (it is net dependent). Even when travelling.
The same browser that works great at one time stops working for a while and
then seems to work well again. (Net dependent?)
Probably ISP dependent.
Post by Dolomite
I am worried that someone can erase post and make this an issue about the
Classic version.
I am not aware that 'msnews.microsoft.com' honors cancels. Some NNTP servers
to, but many do not.
Post by Dolomite
I still believe it probably has to do with the new interface of the future
Live Hotmail and their ad serving technology (maybe not fully deployed yet
and having growing pains). Unfortunately, this goes into a whole other issue
for other threads.
Aside from browser plug-ins, I'd be more inclined to consider ISP issues.
Post by Dolomite
As someone posted before "Working on your request..." in Hotmail is the same
as "Loading..." in Gmail. Both with the same yellow colored background...
Firefox does seem to do much better (probably due to "adblock plus" and
speeding ad server requests).
Thanks for asking Norman, and thanks for great info on browsers.
You're welcome. With the Internet, there are so many variables, and not all
are under our control. Browsers, by publisher and version, ISP, and even
transit services. I have one MSFT IP address showing which is routed from my
ATTIS Internet connection, through NTT (Nippon Telephone & Telegraph), to
Microsoft, and another which is a direct connection from ATTIS to Microsoft.
Routing can be problematic sometimes. Ad servers would only be problematic
if you were trying to block ads (blocking 'admt.net' kills some
functionality of Yahoo! web pages).
Dolomite
2008-09-18 01:01:00 UTC
Thanks for info Norman.

Yes, the Net is full of variables. However, Gmail and Yahoo mail worked
perfectly while the "working on your request" appeared on Live (and inability
to actually acces email at all). I was getting my Hotmail email thanks to be
able to have it forwarded to my Gmail account...

If it was an ISP problem, why is it (was) only happening with Hotmail Live?

I give up trying to figure this out. I am just waiting for the new web based
email system that does what I want it to do. Certainly not the Full version
of Hotmail Live that we will be forced to use soon).
N. Miller
2008-09-18 18:23:25 UTC
Post by Dolomite
If it was an ISP problem, why is it (was) only happening with Hotmail Live?
OTOH, if it was a Windows Live server problem, you'd think it would affect
my connection, yes? I've not seen it. I guess it is just one of the small
mysteries of the computer world.